Views from CowTown

www.flickr.com
frau cowtown's items Go to frau cowtown's photostream

17 November 2005

So, my new books from Amazon arrived!



I love the intro to this one.....

It's great, makes sense to me... so here we go with yet another German text book. I'll quote some of it here.... because it is so pertinent to where I am in my learning. I need to be more conversational.

"There are two ways of learning a foreign language by self-tuition. The first is to learn words; rules, exceptions to those rules and then to practicse putting them together according to the rules while remember (or trying to) the exceptions.
It is most difficult to acquire fluency by this method. When speaking or writing the language you have no time to think what rule ought to be applied, or what exception remembered. Fluency in a language means that phrases are on the tip of your tongue when you need them.
This can be achieved far better by means of the second method, which is to memorize the most useful sentences so that they may come automatically to your lips at a moment's notice!
.....
How did you learn you own English language? Did you study it? Of course not. You first began to understand it, then to speak it, by constantly hearing it spoken and by its daily repetitaion. You did not study the language -- you absorbed it!"

OH! Yes!! This is so applicable to me! And, true! I asked my girlfriend for some basic phrases... einsteigen und anschnallen! See?! I can get the kids moving in the car and buckled up ready to go! Heh! Zahneputzen, Buchelesen.... nice commands that are easy for me to remember and the kids to learn! Lass das!

Ya, well in my free time, I'll be diving into this book in a serious way! Oh, and then I needed some new Deutschmusik... so I ordered this! Hee hee! For a little fun!

2 comments:

k.d. said...

auf geht's mit dem selbststudium! :P

happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

Well you spoiled my surprise! No, not a book or CD... I was going to get THOSE GLASSES 'cause their so "Euro" and SO cool! HAHAHAHAHA!
K

Herr und Frau CowTown

Herr und Frau CowTown
eeewwww....freaky....