Views from CowTown

www.flickr.com
frau cowtown's items Go to frau cowtown's photostream

05 March 2006

More to come....

or, called lesson planning, Day 1.

A bit of a long, ongoing story that's been playing out here since middle K was in the 4th grade. He can't stay organized or turn in assignments to save his grade. heh.

Here's a kid who last year, in the 5th grade, on paper... the test scores paper.... ranks mid 8th grade. On his report card paper, he's flunking 6th grade. Go figure. Quite a disparity. sigh

So, we're tired of all the tutors, who wonder why they're needed. Well, actually all he needs is a babysitter to kick his butt and turn in his math homework each day.... or take his hand and form the words to fill out his note-taking book each day in class..... or actually fill out his daily assignment notebook.... Simple things like that)

He can score A's on his classroom tests.... ya have to stay put, do them and turn them in to the teacher before you leave.... thus eliminating the possiblility that said paper will get lost on the way from home to the great, dark abyss, known as his locker. His note-taking is an F, that's what you get when you turn in a blank, empty spiral notebook. His homework grades are also F's.... you can't expect any better when you just don't turn in anything! Well, so actually, I lied, he's not failing with F's in the overall grades.... just doing very poor, minus. D-. Sigh.

So, I marched into the assistant principal's office and told her that the school just wasn't doing enough, despite my phone calls and conferences with the teachers... and told them I'm pulling him out to homeschool him. Bleh.

But, that's it. I made the decision... rash, maybe, but I've been researching this for some time now... and it's perfectly legal for me to do so. What could the principal say? I'm sure she's bummed because they get so much state funding for having warm bodies in the school... but, oh well. I'm not comfortable with him doing very poor minus in 6th grade. Especially when it's not for lack of knowledge.

They tell me he needs drugs to stay focused. Hmmm. Kurt doesn't want him to rely on drugs to figure out how to focus and do things... Besides, he can focus just fine playing video games for hours if we let him. He focuses just fine running around outside for hours. He chooses to focus when it suits him. We have to drill it into him that there is no way around this school game. He must turn in the work. He must takes notes in class. It's what's expected, and there is no alternative. He's going to find out that my school is a lot tougher than the cakewalk he was just partaking in. And, on top of that... no more band, no more friends to socialize with in the halls and in class. No fun end of the year camping trip with his classmates. No track & field to play.... he even signed up for it in intramurals....

My goal now, is to get his head on straight, hopefully have him learn to use the tools so he can get with the program and play the game this fall when I'm intending on sending him back there for 7th grade.

Ja, so as if I wasn't busy enough.

2 comments:

mk said...

wow..this is waiting on me, in a few years. in our schooldays we thought we really know how to manage it, if we are parents - we make it better ..... ha!

Anonymous said...

I'll bet middle K kicks serious butt under your guidance!

Herr und Frau CowTown

Herr und Frau CowTown
eeewwww....freaky....

Blog Archive